Trails and Treasures Home Page Road Trips Searching for Fred Harvey, Fall 2006
Arrow Rock State Historic Site
William Clark: "a fair morning, the river Rise a little we got fast on a Snag Soon after we Set out which detained us a Short time passed the upper Point of the Island Several Small Chanels running out of the River below a Bluff & Prarie Called the Prariee of Arrows where the river is confined within the width of 300 yds."
When William Becknell left Franklin in September, 1821, bound for Santa Fe he crossed the Missouri River near here. The following year when he left with three wagons, he used the ferry at Arrow Rock. The town was founded in 1829, although it was originally called New Philadelphia. In 1834, Joseph Huston began building a brick tavern. It still stands today, one of the few commercial buildings that survived several devastating fires.