Sabino Canyon was first used by human about 1200 AD when the Hohokam built irrigation dams in the creek. In the 1870s, soldiers from Fort Lowell rode up the canyon to swim in the creek. Then, in the 1930s, the CCC built bridges and a 3.8-mile road up the canyon which is used today to transport crowds of visitors via shuttle buses.
The narrated shuttle bus trip takes 45 minutes for the 7.6-mile round-trip.
Trails and Treasures Home Page Journey to the American Southwest 2003