Deming, NM


Deming dates from 1881, when the Southern Pacific met the AT&SF at this location.  Never a great railroad center, the town’s economy has always been largely based on cattle and farming.  But the railroad did bring in settlers.  By 1900, there were about 1,500 residents, and the village was incorporated in 1902.  During World War II, a U.S. Army Airfield was constructed here.  Today, it hosts the world’s largest chili processing plant, and the present population is 15,000+.


Downtown Deming has 16 buildings on the State Historic Register; four of the 16 are also on the National Register.  The Baker Hotel, Western Furniture Warehouse (1886), Old Deming National Bank (1893), Bargain Barn (1917), and Morgan Hall (1908) exemplify the local architecture.


Hotel Baker Old Deming National Bank Building West Side 100N Block of Silver

Deming is home to the Deming Luna Mimbres Museum.  One of the many exhibits depicts the entrance to the Deming Harvey House.  The old depot and Harvey House were demolished in the 1960s.